Built in 1895 and located on the 6.5-acre Gibraltar Island in the Put in Bay harbor, Frantz Theodore Stone Laboratory is Ohio’s Lake Erie laboratory. Stone laboratory is the nation’s oldest freshwater biological field station and the Island Campus of The Ohio State University. College-level courses are offered at the laboratory each summer with faculty and students coming from all over the country. Students from 40 Ohio colleges, 27 out-of-state colleges, and 257 high schools have taken these courses for college credit since 1990. Year round research also takes place at the Laboratory and it also offers special conference facilities and speakers. The Laboratory develops and offers custom-designed Aquatic Workshop programs for grades 4 through adult with over 5,000 participants annually.
878 Bayview Ave., Put-in-Bay, Ohio 43456